Registration number 2215
Status Registered
adminnhs

Previous names

  • Fide

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Maylandsea
Vessel type Yacht - West Solent One Design
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Berthon Boat Co Ltd, Lymington
Built in 1930
Rig Bermudan
Number of decks 1
Propulsion Sail
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
7.60 feet (2.32m)
Depth
5.25 feet (1.60m)
Length: Overall
34.60 feet (10.55m)
Tonnage: Gross
4.50
Air Draft
45.00 feet (13.72m)

History

MISCHIEF is a West Solent One Design racing yacht, designed by H.G. May and built for Sir Francis Dent by Berthon Boat Co., Lymington. She raced in the Solent pre-WWII. Since then she has had numerous private owners and been based all around the country and beyond.

Her first (co-)owners were Dent, a Director of the Southern Railway and governor of London School of Economics, and Jack Holder, a retired brewer.  Dent then owned her solely from 1933-34, when she was sold to Harold Cecil Christopherson, a stockbroker, who owned her until 1938.  Her owner during WWII is not known.  From 1947-1950, she was owned by H.F. Barge of Hamble, then from 1951-53, by Jack Holman, brother of the yacht designer Kim Holman, and owner of the Upham Boatyard, Brixham.  From 1953-57, she was owned by L. Woolcott of Salcombe, then from 1957-1960 by H.M. Blewitt of Plymouth, when she was also renamed FIDE. 

From 1960-63, she was owned by George C. Dear and based in Lymington, then from 1963-66 by J.D. Dennis & R.J. Strong.  From 1967-1972, she was owned by R.J. Strong, A.D. Hignett & The Hon. Lawson-Johnston (of Bovril Ltd), then from 1972-c1974 by Charles D. Pledger at Heybridge Basin, Essex.  From c1974-79, she was owned by C.R.H. & Dr. N.O.T. Temple of Harwich and Cowes.  

Under the ownership of US citizen Paul Denk from 1979, she was based first at Cowes, then sailed to Portugal and the Mediterranean in the early 1980s.  Her name was returned to MISCHIEF during this period.  There may have been other owners after this.  

Her current owner purchased the vessel from a broker in Cannes, France, in 1991 and returned her to the UK. A full refit was carried out from 1991-1995 by Peter Brookes at Maldon. 

Update, February 2025: Vessel for sale. 

Sources

Classic Boat: Charter UK Destinations - Wish you were here?, February 2011
 

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Starboard side view

Archived, built 1929 by Berthon Boat Co Ltd, Lymington